LinkedIn

Fecha: 21/07/2012   
Things in Common.........
GABRIEL, Buenos Dias!! Boy oh boy, lady-- that was a thousand years ago at least-- my days in Miami were days of youthful adventure , writing poetry and "auditing" art classes at UM doing a little painting which I framed with boards from my landlord's fence. Massin stirred me up and met some others. Did not know of the Massin- Sequeros connection but I can see it! I wound up in San Miguel and was there for an indefinite -- rather hazy period. Sorry but can't register on Al Vranas, however, Scornavacca's name stirs couple of synapses.

Gabriel, take a look at my website and page on art restoration/conservation and other goodies. Address-- mcartplus.com Tell me what you think. I'll do my best to answer answer any ??? you might have and thanx for reviving so many fading memories.

Yours, STEVE McLACHLIN





Both Steve and I had the same art teacher and mentor at the University of Miami. I was Eugene Massin's
personal studio assistant and teacher's assitant in some of his classes at the university. I was also a studio assistan for Al Vrana, a sculptor.
Massin came to Mexico in the fifties, he lived in San Miguel de Allende where he met  David A.Siqueiros
and became his assistant.Siqueiros taught in New York in the forties , to such figures as Jackson Pollock, Lee Krasner and other painters. He is responsible for introducing both Jackson and Lee to dripping,  the style of painting Pollock devloped later..

Massin was a figurative painter. When I started my art training, there was a debate in Art education as to what approach /method to  use in teaching art. Whether to use the old academic methods with emphasis on copying or to teach a more creative modern approach of exploring the creative, thru exercises and newer  methods for teaching the newer  languages of contemporary painting .





painting.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“La crítica de arte ha perdido totalmente su función” Benjamin H. D. Buchloh -Germany (1941)

Chaos & An Unpredictable Tomorrow --Peter Saltzstein finds that Chaos Theory yields unexpected philosophical results.

Negatives about CIRCUMCISION -The male prepuce, or foreskin, is a highly mobile and extraordinarily sensitive double fold of tissue that is the end of the penis.